Dhokla is a gujarati snack item traditionally made from rice and daal. Try this super simple, super quick recipe using sooji (suji, semolina or cream of wheat). Watch this how to video and learn to make Instant sooji dhokla, serve with tea and impress your guests with your Indian cooking.
1. In a medium bowl add sooji, carom seeds and oil. Mix well until there are no lumps.
2. Add salt, green chilies, turmeric and ginger to the yogurt.
3. Add yogurt mixture to sooji.
4. Add water and mix until a smooth.
5. Allow batter to rest for 15-20 minutes.
6. prepare a stock pot or tall pressure cooker with 1 to 1 1/2 inches of water. Bring to a boil.
7. Prepare dhokla stand plates by lightly spraying cooking oil.
8. Once the water comes to a boil, add ENO fruit salt to the batter and mix well. The batter will foam up.
9. Pour batter immediately into the Dhokla plates (filling only half way up) and place Dhokla stand into the stock pot.
10. Cover the stock pot and cook the Dhokla on medium heat for 15 minutes.
11. Switch off stove and remove the Dhokla stand from the stock pot. Let is cool for a few minutes.
12. For the seasoning, heat oil in a small non-stick skillet on medium heat.
13. Add mustard seeds and allow them to pop.
14. Add sesame seeds and allow them to pop (keep a cover handy to the seeds don't pop at you).
15. Add slit green chilies and let them cook for 30 - 40 seconds.
16. Switch off stove.
17. Sprinkle chopped cilantro leaves on the dhokla and pour above seasoned oil over the top.
18. Cut dhokla into desired square pieces and serve with mint/coriander chutney.
Sooji (Semolina) - 2 cups
Oil - 2 Tbsp
Carom Seeds (Ajwain) - 1/4 tsp
Ginger - 1 tsp (grated)
Green Chili - to taste (finely chopped)
Salt - 1 tsp or to taste
Water - 1 cup
Yogurt - 1 cup, well beaten
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
ENO Fruit Salt - 2 tsp
Spray Cooking Oil
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.