How to Make Wild Rice with Shiitake Mushrooms and Pecans with Hubert Keller
This flavorful mix of wild rice and veggies will have you always wanting more. Watch Chef Hubert Keller do it himself!
- 4 cups water
- 3/4 cup wild rice
- 1-1/2 tablespoons margarine or butter, divided
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1 celery rib, peeled, trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, peeled and quartered
- 3 ounces shiitake mushrooms, cleaned, stems trimmed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Bring water to a boil over medium to high heat in Cuisinart® Anodized Non-Stick 2-3/4 quart saucepan. Once boiling, change heat to low, and add rice to simmer, partially covered, until tender (usually around 30 minutes).
- In the meantime, allow for 1/2 tablespoon margarine to melt over medium heat in a Cuisinart® Anodized Non-Stick 3-1/2-quart sauté pan. Once melted, add pecans to the pan stir frequently until they are lightly browned (usually takes about 5 minutes). Let cool slightly.
- Put pecans in a Cuisinart® food processor fitted with the metal blade, and run the processor until the pecans are coarsely chopped (usually about 6 times). Remove the pecans and add the the celery and onion to processor and let run until vegetables are also coarsely chopped (usually takes 4-5 times). Then put the mushrooms through the large feed tube to be sliced under low pressure.
- Just before the rice is done, heat 1 tablespoon of margarine in pan over medium heat. Then add in the vegetables to be cooked under medium heat until tender (usually 3-4 minutes).
- Drain the rice when finished cooking, combine with vegetables on skillet and add the pecans. Allow for mixture to be heated through (usually about 3-4 minutes). Add some last minute salt and pepper to season.
- Serve, and enjoy!