Rava idlis are a super fast alternative to the traditional rice/daal idlis. Since there is no soaking, grinding or fermenting involved, you can enjoy these idlis at any time without the pre-planning. Watch this how to video and try this simple and delicious Indian rave idli recipe.
Sooji (Cream of Wheat/Semolina) – 2 cups
Oil – 2 Tbsp
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Asofoetida (Hing) - pinch
Channa Daal – 1 tsp
Urad Daal – 1 tsp
Dry Whole Red Chili – 1
Broken Cashew Pieces – 1 Tbsp
Yogurt – 1 cup, well beaten
Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
Green Chili – 1 (to taste), finely chopped
Cilantro – 5 sprigs, finely chopped
Ginger – 1 tsp, finely grated
Salt – 1 tsp (to taste)
Water – 1 cup
ENO Fruit Salt – 2 tsp
Thinly Sliced Tomatoes and Cilantro Leaves – for garnish
1. Heat oil in medium pan on medium heat.
2. Add mustard seeds and allow them to pop.
3. Add Asofoetida, dry red chili, channa daal, urad daal and mix.
4. When channa and urad daals become light brown, add in sooji and mix well.
5. Keep roasting sooji until a nice fragrant smell comes or you see the sooji turning light brown. Do not burn the sooji.
6. Transfer sooji to a medium bowl and allow it to cool for about 10 minutes.
7. Lightly oil idli trays with spray cooking oil or regular oil.
8. Prepare idli steamer by pre-heating water to a boil.
9. In another small bowl, mix yogurt, curry leaves, green chilies, cilantro, ginger and salt. Mix well.
10. Pour yogurt mixture into the cooled sooji and mix.
11. Add water a little at a time and keep mixing until there are no lumps visible. Allow the batter to rest for at least 15-20 minutes.
12. Add ENO fruit salt and mix well. The mixture should foam up.
13. Immediately pour mixture into the idli trays and put the idli stand into the steamer.
14. Place a tight lid on the steamer and steam idlis for exactly 16 minutes on medium heat.
15. Remove idlis from the trays by scooping them out with a spoon.
16. Serve hot with chutney
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.